Sunday, March 18, 2012

Container Garden Spring 2012

My container garden is by the back door of my apartment in a 6' x 2' space on the stairwell landing. The containers are a mix of 2 Sub-Irrigation Planters, 2 Smart Pots, 1 Wally bag and a traditional pot.

The only two surviving plants from my garden last year are the Swiss Chard and the Thai Basil.

One thing I'm doing differently this year is incorporating flowering native plants to attract pollinators.

I also have an edible French Marigold. Apparently, this flower grows well alongside vegetables, as it's roots' secretions kill nematodes in the soil. Who knew?!?! I have a lot to learn about companion planting, what plants go well in a pot together or side by side.














French Marigold, Redbor Kale, Mustard Greens, Broccoli.














Rosemary and Beautiful Rockcress.




















Broccoli, Canyon Delight Coral Bells, Thai Basil.














Blue Flax, Spinach, Lacinato Kale Sprouts, Swiss Chard.

Note: Last year I planted Rosemary in a Sub-Irrigation Planter. I think it was too moist of an environment and it didn't survive. This year, I've planted the Rosemary in a well-draining pot alongside a native plant that's soil preference is for a well drained soil. We'll see how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Your garden looks fantastic! I want to see updates as it progresses! Also, you are such a pro gardener. You're blowing me away with all of this gardening terminology. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete